Monday 31 December 2012

New Year Resolutions

A great idea in one of the newspapers for the New Year. When packing away your Xmas decorations, put in a note to yourself to be opened next year when you get them all out again. I guess the note should be more than just a billet doux. It should say what your resolutions are, and you can then see how well you did.
    Last year I vowed to lose weight and write an Anastasia novel. Well, as of Jan 1st 2012 I have lost nearly 3 stone. I have put on 5 pounds over the Xmas period, so call it 2.5 stone. I've gone from a tight squeeze into size 16s to a fairly easy size 10. My diet tips will follow.
     However I only made a start on my  Anastasia novel. I developed an addiction to This Morning, Food Network, and other daytime fripperies which whiled away the time and whiled away my motivation, too. Then in the summer, my Primula Bond editor told me and his stable of respected authors that the powers that be at Harper Collins were looking to jump on the 50 Shades bandwagon (which I prefer to read as knocking that bloody book into a cocked hat) and totally overhaul the way we've been writing erotica. Actually, it's all to the good. They want less graphic, full on and explicit language and more focus on relationships a la Christian Grey/Anastasia (yes, I know!) but with better writing basically. Now, that I can do, but it wasn't quite as easy as I thought throwing off the shackles of Primula Bond's previous style. So the autumn has seen me writing and then re-writing my 50 Shades competitor and it is, as we speak, with the editors for final approval - or rejection.
  What I haven't told my editor is that if Avon reject it, I have an agent over in the States who is keen to see any Primula work that hasn't been sold over here, so I reckon doors are opening.
  And this has gone on long enough, so I will tell you my New Year Resolutions when I wake up tomorrow morning.  For now, the last day of 2012 is going to be spent watching THE SOUND OF MUSIC and then after various other plans went awry I am going out to dinner with my family to our favourite pub The Old Forge.

No comments:

Post a Comment